New Prize Allocations Since Playoff Structure Changed

Commissioner
Site Admin
New Prize Allocations Since Playoff Structure Changed

Post by Commissioner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:36 pm

We should change payouts...instead of 1200/400 for SB Champ and runner up, make it 1000/300 and using the additional 300 to give 50 each to winners of Wild Card round (6 teams advance from WC Round). Right now WC winners receive nothing, and we award winners of the other playoff rounds. We need to award for all wins in the post season.

With our current structure - If a WC team beats a division winner and advances to divisional round they get nothing for that win. At least this will give them half their money back with a $50 prize or if the division winner knocks out the WC team and advances they get an additional 50 to go along with the 100 they already won for their division title.

In order to do this we just change our champ and runner up from 1200/400 to 1000/300. That's still 10x and 3x back on your original investment and it spreads out some of the winnings for other playoff winners.

So instead of this ...

Each division champ (8 total) will be awarded $100.00.
Winners of the Divisional Round who will face one another in Conference Championship Game (4 total) will be awarded $200 each.
Super Bowl runner up will be awarded $400.00.
Super Bowl champion will be awarded $1200.00.

We would have this...

Each division champ (8 total) will be awarded $100.00.
Winners of the Wild Card Round (6 total) will be awarded $50 each.
Winners of the Divisional Round who will face one another in Conference Championship Game (4 total) will be awarded $200 each.
Super Bowl runner up will be awarded $300.00.
Super Bowl champion will be awarded $1000.00.

This change would be effective immediately for the 2020 Season.

Discuss below.
bthoman

Re: New Prize Allocations Since Playoff Structure Changed

Post by bthoman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:52 am

I am against this one. I feel like if you beat 31 other teams, you should be walking away with at least half of the entry fees. If my math is correct, under the proposed changes, the maximum you can win is $1350 instead of $1500.

I would rather see the extra money go to the regular season champ who earns the one and only bye.
tbparker

Post by tbparker » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:02 am

I am also against this proposal:

It seems unfair that because the best team advances to the divisional round by bye instead of WC round, their payout is less. The best team should get the most opportunity for the most payout.

Here is a likely scenario:
Top team gets bye ($100 for division)
Second seed Division winner wins wild card round ($150 payout for division and WC round)
Both teams lose in divisional round, so both teams reached the same round, but the top seed got less money. The top seed got penalized for having a better season in terms of winnings that season.
bthoman

Post by bthoman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:08 am

I didn't think of that Beau, but the structure is flawed.

Let's reward the regular season champs if you don't want to reward the playoff champ.
jamesosteen

Post by jamesosteen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:29 am

I'm against this simply for the reason of why are we wanting to pay wild card winners just because we added a 3rd wild card team? Yes our new structure means we have three WC teams not instead of 2 and that means 3 wild card matchups per conference now instead of 2, but why does that mean we need to start paying them?

My logic to the playoffs is this....

1st seed is rewarded with having a bye and automatically getting into the "real playoffs". I look at the wild card round as more of a qualifier for the "real playoffs". The other 3 division winners and 3 wild card teams have to now qualify for the "real playoffs" by winning a WC game. This is their penalty so to speak for not winning the 1st seed thus they should not be rewarded monetarily for being in the qualifier (their penalty). Now the division winners have an edge in the qualifier with the choose your opponent aspect (well the 2nd and 3rd seeds anyway) so that's their reward for their division title and higher seed.

I do think we have to see this as more of a penalty of not getting the bye and more of a qualifier of getting into the money part of the playoffs (or "real playoffs") and not a round where money should be rewarded. I understand the thought of well shouldn't a wild card team be rewarded for knocking off a division winner in the WC round? Yes they should and their reward is they get to now enter into the "real playoffs" for a chance to win money IN PLACE of the division winner they just knocked out. The WC Round is the chance for a WC team to knock out a division winner and take their rightful place in the divisional round. They are afforded this chance by winning one of the WC spots in the regular season. That's the point of the WC Round...it's not to play for money. It's to play for the right to advance and play for money.
rafastw

Post by rafastw » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Voted no. Will again.
detroitlions

Post by detroitlions » Fri May 01, 2020 4:01 pm

nope
mattbills

Post by mattbills » Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm

I can see the logic behind wanting this change but I agree with everyone else. I'm against this. Let's start paying for playoff wins when they matter.

Return to “2020 Offseason”