Comp Round Suggestion for Free Agent Signings

Commissioner
Site Admin
Comp Round Suggestion for Free Agent Signings

Post by Commissioner » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:58 pm

This round would occur between rounds 2 and 3 of our rookie draft, the following year after a Free Agent period.

The ‘Comp Line’ would be a set $ amount ($30?) during the Free Agent auction. If you release a player and that player signs for over $30, you would receive a ‘Comp pick’ the FOLLOWING years rookie draft.

In contrast, if you sign a player over the ‘Comp Line’ you would be subtracted a comp pick.

If you have negative ‘comp picks’ (meaning you signed guys over the line and didn’t have anyone sign over the line) then you would simply not receive a comp pick. There would be no penalty.

These picks would be non-trade-able and would be ordered the same as the rookie draft order for that year.

This would be an ongoing math equation.

For example:

I hypothetically release Saquon Barkley, Lamar Jackson and Jordan Howard during the 2020 off season. In the Free Agent Auction of 2020, Barkley signs for $50, Jackson signs for $35 and Woods signs for $25.

At this point I would collect 2 comp picks for Barkley/Jackson and would not receive a pick for Woods because he signed under the ‘Comp Line’.

During the same Free Agent period; I sign Julio Jones ($60), Travis Kelce ($25) and Jared Goff ($25). I have signed 1 player over the ‘Comp Line’.

Take the 2 players you lost ‘over the line’ minus the 1 player you gained ‘over the line’ and you end up with 1 comp pick.

I would have 1 comp pick in this example. It would be rewarded to me in the 2021 rookie draft.

This would start for the 2021 Season - not this season since players have already been dropped and Free Agency strategies are already in motion.

Discuss below.
Bucs Freemann

Re: Comp Round Suggestion for Free Agent Signings

Post by Bucs Freemann » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 am

I like the concept, but I think the value needs to be greater for the comp pick. Inbetween the first and 2nd is better return value if you are letting go of a top tier player who will net $50+. If the overall limit needs to be raised or even tiered (60+ = comp before 2nd round; 35+ = before 3rd round), I think it enhances our league. I also think that more valuable comp picks help create a more diverse free agency profile, as there is more incentive to release a player.
tbparker

Post by tbparker » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:41 pm

The NFL awards comp picks because a player chooses to leave that team for a better deal. Teams don’t get comp picks for releasing a player.

You cut a player bc you can’t afford him. If a player is fair or undervalue, you’ll probably still keep him. If a player is overpaid, now you can release him and then get a pick in return for that player you overpaid for.

That’s why comp picks don’t really make sense to me in the context of fantasy football.
rafastw

Post by rafastw » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 pm

I'm with Jets on this one.
jamesosteen

Post by jamesosteen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Pretty much for the reasons Jets laid out I'm a no. Interesting idea though.
reeddominick

Post by reeddominick » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm

I 100% agree with the Jets on this. The talent already starts to get low in rounds 3 & 4 in the draft, this just waters down the draft even more than it already is.
detroitlions

Post by detroitlions » Fri May 01, 2020 3:53 pm

against
mattbills

Post by mattbills » Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 pm

I'm out on this one too.

The only way this would work is if we had some sort of Restricted Free Agency period. Then if a team bid on your restricted free agent and it was above the comp line, you could either match it or let him go and then receive a comp pick for losing a player in free agency. As the league currently functions we do not require comp picks.
rboyer34

Post by rboyer34 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 pm

This likely wont pass anyway but what the Jets said was not correct, "If a player is overpaid, now you can release him and then get a pick in return for that player you overpaid for." The player you're releasing would have to sign over the Comp line in FA for $35 in this example. It has nothing to do with what you were paying him, you only receive the pick if he signs for over $35 which would mean hes a pretty good player.
Seahawks
Super Bowl I Champs
Super Bowl I Champs

Post by Seahawks » Sat May 02, 2020 8:49 pm

I like it. Losing a stud player because of salary really sucks, so at least gives a little in return. Plus would make those players potentially tradeable during the season to non-playoff teams knowing they can get comp in return.

Return to “2020 Offseason”